Saturday, December 13, 2014

It's Worth The Change

Yesterday I went to see my doctor for my annual check up. She happened to ask me how I'm feeling emotionally,  if I've had any depression or not. I told her yes, I Was getting there but wasn't anymore as of very recently (constantly taking care of everyone else and never myself along with lack of sleep for four months straight can do that to a gal). She then proceeded to say, "Well, if you notice yourself starting to get that way again let me know and we can get you into counseling or prescribe you some medicine." SO, this is where my dumbfounded look comes into play. Medicine? Medicine??? How about exercise or a change in diet to start with? Whyyy would you want to put a foreign little pill in your system that could take months to work, ( if it does at all),  and risk taking on possible uncomfortable or even dangerous side effects? Is it for convenience since maybe eating healthy or working out takes some effort? Sure, that makes sense but as someone who's been on many different antidepressants before (crappy childhood into adulthood), that sh*t doesn't work by itself, and again, if at all! Before 5 days ago I was so incredibly down. I was to the point where I dreaded waking up and starting my days. I was so pissy, moody, sad, edgy, intolerant and inpatient. I had turned into a wife I didn't like and a the type of parent I despised. I was snapping at my husband constantly and was grabbing my child hard by the arms and having screaming episodes when she was being defiant. THAT is Not okay!! It is not OK to live that way and feel that way. Not at all!

Thankfully, things have changed completely for the better. I feel amazing. I have so much more energy, I feel empowered, I'm Happy (yay!), I'm smiling and I'm playful, I'm much more patient and more tolerant, I think before I act, I feel so much more loving and connected to my kids and husband, and I even feel ambitious about my future. So, what has changed? ...My Diet! :) Before 5 days ago my diet consisted of meat, breads, pastas, sweets, and processed foods with very little fruits and veggies. I also relied on coffee to get me through the day. At night, while feeding Kayden I have been watching several very informative and entertaining health documentaries on Netflix. They were so convincing, inspiring, and encouraging on how to take better care of oneself and adjust your diet accordingly. I didn't waste anymore time. I knew I had to do something different for the sake of myself and my family. Without hardly any effort I have stopped eating meat, dairy, processed foods, and sweets. I stopped drinking coffee as well. I have strictly been drinking almond milk and water, eating whole grains, nuts, seeds, beans, and plenty of fruits and vegetables. It is incredible to experience and feel the changes that I do all from adjusting what I put in my body. It hasn't even been a week. Can you imagine what I'll feel like once I start working out?

I'm sure I'll face some obvious challenges along the way, at least at first until I become completely adjusted, but feeling this great and being a better person, wife and parent is so worth it. I know the changes in my diet will benefit me in the long run too. It will help prevent me from taking on diseases or illnesses later in life such as cancer or diabetes, etc. I have no intentions on trying to lose weight because I'm only 112 lbs. If anything I'm going to double up on calories and healthy fats in order to gain weight and maintain it, but for those of you who are overweight and looking to shed those pounds then this would definitely be a healthy way to go in order to do just that.

I'm excited about the Now and I'm excited about my future. I challenge you to take control of your life and make the necessary changes that can and will make you fulfilled and happy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment